The ultimate crowd-pleasing side dish, my Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes are so versatile and flavorful. They’ll be the perfect side to your next celebration or a weeknight dinner
My Secret to Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Everyone has their own little twist or spin on mashed potatoes and mine is layering the flavor in early. I season the water with 10 cloves of garlic and some chicken bouillon and trust me when I say that makes the difference. The potatoes just absorb all that garlicky goodness making them so flavorful. By boiling the garlic it takes the edge off and enhances it’s sweetness so don’t forget to reserve them and mash in with the potatoes.
I usually boil my potatoes until the edges start to crumble so they mash without any lumps. The creaminess comes from a combination of heavy cream, butter and my holy grail ingredient – cream cheese. You can go for a regular cream cheese but if you’re feeling fancy opt for the flavored ones. I recommend heating the heavy cream and the butter before adding it to the mash. The melted butter incorporates a lot easier giving a silky smooth mash. I also cut the cream cheese into tiny pieces because it also incorporates easier and more evenly this way.
- 3 lbs Starchy Potatoes (Russets or Yukon Golds work best)
- 10 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 tablespoons Chicken Boullion
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Ounces Softened Cream Cheese
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Chopped Chives for garnish
- Place a pot of water to boil, add the cloves of garlic and a tablespoon of chicken bouillon with salt to taste.
- Peel and cut potatoes into even pieces and cook in boiling water until they crumble around the edges. Drain and return to pot, and mash the potatoes, cream cheese and garlic over low heat.
- Warm the heavy cream and butter in a saucepan until the butter melts then stir into the mash. Be careful not to overwork the mash or it will seize and become gluey.
- Add some fresh ground black pepper and the chives. Check the seasoning and adjust to taste.
- Serve immediately.